Top Ten Tuesday brought to you by thebrokeandthebookish.com.
This week’s theme is 2014 releases I’m dying to read. Hrmmmm. They’d mostly be sequels, I think. But let’s take a gander at my Goodreads shelf.
Nafiza’s Waiting and Waiting and Waiting for:
- Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3) – Laini Taylor
I didn’t like book 1 but I loved book 2 so I’m really very curious about what book 3 is going to look like. Plus war. There’s going to be war. Of the demons and angels kind. Let’s burn some feathers! (The demons may be the good guys here.)
- Lair of Dreams – Libba Bray
The sequel to The Diviners and yes, the cover looks TERRIBLE but that doesn’t mean the insides won’t be amazing.
- The Creature of Moonlight – Rebecca Hahn
Okay, this sounds suspiciously like Seraphina which I love but I’m still excited about it because, look, dragons. Half-girl, half-dragon. Whoo.
- Midnight Thief – Livia Blackburne
This is a 2014 debut novel feature a midnight thief, some dirty streets, danger and no dragons but still, the synopsis is win as is the cover and I want to read it now.
- The Cracks in the Kingdom – Jaclyn Moriarty
So I didn’t completely enjoy the first one in the series but I loved the ending bits and plus, it’s Moriarty, you guys! I’m EXCITED!
Um. I have no idea what will come out in 2014.
Oh, wait, I thought of something.
- I am looking forward to the next (and last) installment of Ben Hatke’s Zita the Spacegirl series, Return of Zita the Spacegirl. The only sad thing is that this will, I believe, be the last of the Zita stories. Which is good, because Hatke clearly had/has a story arc, so I can expect that this third will be as excellent as the first two. But it is bad, because I want more of Zita and Mouse, Piper, Madrigal, Glissando, Strong-Strong, One…
- Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen by Garth Nix. So this one will be a bit of a downer, because it tells the story of how Clariel, Abhorsen or Abhorsen-in-Waiting, becomes the necromancer Chlorr of the Mask. But! More of the Old Kingdom! I’ve been wondering, since I read Abhorsen, about Chlorr’s backstory, because Mogget really does give a lot away. Nix has been quite a while in writing this one, but the last I heard, Clariel was slated to come out in September 2014. Here’s hoping!
- I was told today that parts two and three of Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Search have (finally) come out, so they’re not really 2014 releases. But it will almost certainly be 2014 before I get to read them, so…
- I’ve said this before, but I’m excited about Merrie Haskell’s The Castle Behind Thorns.
Steph eagerly awaits…
1. Undivided by Neal Shusterman – number 4 in the Unwind series! I want to be creeped out even more! ^_^
2. The 6th instalment of Amulet by Kazu Kibuishi – expected Setpember 2014
3. Raging Star, Dustlands #3 by our Canadian Moira Young.
4. The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness – so stoked!
5. After the End by Amy Plum – you saw this in the cover wars. I’m a little excited. What are these wolves/coyotes all about?
6. The Castle Behind Thorns by Merrie Haskell – I’m intrigued and I liked Handbook for Dragonslayers and I googled what was coming out next year and this came up! ^_^
Yash Is Trying To Stay Calm About The Following 2014 Releases:
- Hollow City by Ranson Riggs: The sequel to the wonderfully creepy Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.
- Through the Woods by Emily Carroll: God, I love Emily Carroll. She is intelligent and talented and beautiful and scary and I love her.
- This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki: I’m sorry, but who isn’t looking forward to this one?!
- Book 3 in the Raven Cycle / The Book That Shall Not Be Named / Untitled by Maggie Stiefvater: Goodreads lists it as a 2014 release, but Goodreads is pretty good at raising my hope and then dashing them to the ground, so …
- The Shadow Cabinet by Maureen Johnson: You already know how much I love the Shades of London series and … is it just me, or does the title sound a bit, erm, well, off? No? Okay. I’ll make my peace with it.